Global Program Safety Lead (GPSL) job in Cambridge
|Employer:|| Novartis Pharmaceuticals|
|Category:||Research and Development|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Successfully serves as scientific safety leader of the Medical Safety organization to|
improve patients' lives and impact on overall Novartis results through robust safety
evaluation expertise and medical innovation. Ensures optimal patient safety for assigned
compounds, is responsible for the integration, analysis, and interpretation of internal and
external safety information from all sources through lifecycle management
Provides expert safety input to the clinical development program for assigned
projects/products and be an active member of the Global Program Team (GPT), Global
Clinical Team (GCT) and Clinical Trial Team (CTT).
2. Is responsible for safety issue management from formation of Global Program Team
(GPT) through Life Cycle Management.
3. Develops and is responsible for key internal Novartis safety documents: reviews these
documents regularly and updates as required (e.g. when significant new information
received). Ensures that these, and all other project-related safety documents, are
consistent in safety messages.
4. Owns the safety strategy and document it in the corresponding documents (e.g. dSPP,
SSPT) and leads the production of the medical safety deliverables (e.g. DSUR, PSUR,
RMP) for the assigned products.
5. Is responsible for overall signal detection, monitoring, evaluation, interpretation and
appropriate management of safety information, based on information from all relevant
line functions, post-marketing data, and other sources. To this end, constitutes and runs
the Safety Management Team (SMT). Ensures that this team appropriately and timely
reviews all medical safety data from various sources (e.g. pre-clinical, clinical trial data
post-marketing, literature) throughout the development and post-approval process.
6. Responsible for documentation/tracking/record keeping of the assigned compounds
medical safety activities.
7. Is responsible for initial development and ongoing maintenance of safety information in
Core Data Sheet (core global labeling), including addressing safety issues optimally
in all project/product labeling indications.
8. Is responsible for responses to inquiries from regulatory authorities or health care
professionals on safety issues. Leads the preparation of the safety strategy for health
authority responses and strategy, in collaboration with other project team members.
Prepares safety data for health authority review boards (together with the clinical and
biostatistical functions). Attends Health Authority Meetings in person, as required.
9. Is responsible for responses to legal queries and Country Organization (CO) requests
involving safety issues. Provides integrated safety input into all regulatory documents
required during active development.
10. Ensures safety information is communicated/escalated to HPS/MPH, HMS HYD and/or
EU Qualified Person in a timely fashion.
11. Facilitates involvement of external experts (e.g. authors of white papers, members of
trial- specific data safety monitoring boards, ad-hoc support for HA meetings, etc.).
12. Prepares and presents safety issues to internal Novartis Boards and other meetings as
required. Provides relevant input for SMT/SMB, GPT, GCT and CTT meetings as needed.
13. Initiates and maintains productive cross-functional Medical Safety collaborations with
colleagues within CMO&PS and those from other functions, e.g. Clinical Development
and Medical Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, Medical Information, Biostatistics, Quantitative
Safety & Epidemiology, Clinical Pharmacology, QA, BD&L and NIBR, as well as
externally with expert panels and other scientific contacts.
14. Provides expert medical input to trial and project level Drug Safety Monitoring
Board/Data Monitoring Committee and Safety Adjudication Committee activities for
assigned projects/products, as required.
15. Performs tasks assigned as per applicable procedures (e.g., GOPs, SOPs, WIs), assigned
to the role.
16. Keeps working instructions / SOPs / GOPs for the area of responsibility up to date with
internal (e.g., QMs) and external (e.g., GVP modules) requirements, provides input to
such procedural documents of other functions, and ensures implementation of such
procedural documents in the area of responsibility.
17. Provides support as needed for licensing activities, regulatory authority inspections and
for project /product recall activities.
18. Leads the day-to-day safety activities and provides guidance to junior personnel.
Proactively engages in the development of competencies across the Medical Safety
Function.Medical Degree or equivalent (preferred), PhD, PharmD or
equivalent graduate level health care professional degree
required. Specialty Board certification desirable.
Useful additional degrees: Post graduate degree in
Pharmaceutical Medicine; Master of Public Health in
Epidemiology (or equivalent)
Languages: Fluent in spoken and written English. Understanding in another
major language (e.g. French, German, Spanish) desirable