Senior Scientist LC-MS Assay Development job in Palo Alto
|Employer:|| Merck & Co.|
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare. |
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Bio-analytical LC-MS Lab within the PPDM at our organization's Palo Alto location is seeking an exceptional LC-MS Bio-analyst to contribute to the understanding of the PK properties of novel therapeutic drug candidates across modalities (large molecule including traditional monoclonal antibodies, nanobodies, multipecifics and antibody-drug conjugates, peptide and small molecule therapeutics) as well as protein biomarkers.
Through close collaboration with a cross-functional team of talented scientists, the responsibilities of the position include:
Independently design, plan and implement LC-MS based assays to characterize and quantify therapeutic drug concentrations for proteins, peptides, and small molecules of interest as well as protein biomarkers in pre-clinical studies within tight timelines. This comprises:
• Developing robust sample preparation methods ranging from affinity purification preparation method to protein precipitation / SPE clean-up method using automation solutions such as Bravo assay Map, KingFisher and Hamilton liquid handlers.
• Optimizing LC-MS conditions on a variety of instruments: Thermo TSQ-Vantage, Waters Xevo TQ-S, AB-Sciex 4500, Thermo QE+ and Waters Synapt Q-TOF
• Effectively analyzing and interpreting results through a range of software including Skyline, Analyst, Xcalibur, MassLynx, PepFinder and Watson.
• Effectively documenting, tracking and communicating scientific findings and recommendations within cross-functional teams.
Education Minimum Requirement:
Doctorate degree in Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biology, Chemistry or related field OR
Master's degree & 4 years of scientific experience OR
Bachelor's degree & 6-7 years of scientific experience
Required experience / skills
• Strong hands on experience with different chromatographic separation and mass spectrometry methodologies for qualitative and quantitative analysis of therapeutic proteins (both at the intact level or peptide level), biomarkers, or small molecules.
• Experience with characterization and quantitation of antibody-drug conjugates in biomatrices.
• Experience with proteomics, biochemistry methods, and analysis of post-translational modifications of large therapeutic proteins is a plus.
• Ability to work efficiently and multitask in a fast-paced environment is a must.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Successful candidate provides first-authored, internal and external reports and presentations on technical and scientific findings.
• Fosters team based approach to research. Committed to working synergistically and harmoniously with others.
• While work environment is non-GLP (Discovery stage) a basic knowledge of regulated bioanalysis is a plus
• Experience in working with outside providers / CROs is a plus
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement