Specialist, Biologics Development job in Elkton
|Employer:|| Merck & Co.|
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare. |
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
At our organization's campus in Elkton, Virginia, we currently have an opening for a Specialist in our Biologics Process Development group within our Technical Operations team. The manufacturing facility is located in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains a short distance from the University of Virginia and James Madison University.
A successful candidate will have the opportunity to apply their enthusiasm and technical skills as a member of a multidisciplinary team supporting the operation of pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, vaccine product manufacturing facilities. More specifically, the downstream Process Development Specialist will be responsible for assisting in driving the development, optimization and characterization of current and future purification processes at the laboratory scale.
The candidate should have some experience with biochemical laboratory tools and techniques used for protein purification (such as buffer preparation, column chromatography, tangential flow filtration, etc.). The individual should also be able independently and proactively execute procedures and experimental objectives in a timely and detail-oriented manner. The ability to learn quickly and work in a fast-paced team environment is desirable. Additional responsibilities include bioanalytical analysis and maintaining an electronic laboratory notebook.
Education Minimum Requirement:
• B.S. degree in microbiology, biochemical engineering, biological systems engineering, biology, biochemistry, chemistry or related life science or engineering discipline and a minimum of 2 years of relevant industrial experience
• M.S. degree in microbiology, biochemical engineering, biological systems engineering, biology, biochemistry, chemistry or related life science or engineering discipline and a minimum of 1 years of relevant industrial experience
• Ph.D. in microbiology, biochemical engineering, biological systems engineering, biology, biochemistry, chemistry or related life science or engineering discipline.
Required Experience and Skills**:
• Strong problem solving skills and a hands-on approach to problem solving, with a bias toward going to see problems for oneself in the field.
• Ability to work independently and within a team collaborating with both downstream and analytical partners.
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent technical, organizational, interpersonal, collaborative, and verbal/written communication skills are required.
• Enthusiasm, confidence and initiative-taking ability needed for continuous learning and its applications.
• A strong desire to succeed and to help others to do the same.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Experience working with proteins (purification and analysis) is highly desirable
• Experience with AKTA/Unicorn systems for column chromatography
• Experience with tangential flow filtration - microfiltration/ultrafiltration
• Experience performing analytical work using HPLC/UPLC and Empower systems
• Experience working in a GLP/GMP environment is a plus
• Able to have a flexible work schedule - occasional shift work
• Excellent organization skills to multi-task and manage multiple projects/assignments
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Participation in regulatory agency inspections
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement