Patent Attorney II (Cambridge, MA) job in Cambridge
|Employer:|| Novartis Pharmaceuticals|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
JOB PURPOSE: |
To perform, manage, direct and leverage designated patent and related intellectual property (IP) activities within the research and development (R&D) organization of Novartis
• Provide clear, informed and sophisticated counseling to Novartis R&D clients on opportunities to protect their inventions, create IP portfolios, advise on publication strategies and mitigate third party risks.
• Build and manage patent portfolios for Novartis R&D projects by identifying inventions and preparing, prosecuting, maintaining and defending patent filings for those, especially in technical areas related to biological targets, new biologic entities, platforms and technologies, as well as clinical developments.
• Render legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity, and freedom to operate, and formulate patent strategies for Novartis R&D clients that secure IP positions, Freedom-to-Operate (FTO), and enable IP defense(s).
• Apply deep expertise in national patent law and practice, including patent trends and case law developments, to devise patent strategies and advice.
• Understand other forms of protection relating to exclusivity, and applies as required.
• Maximize effective communication with colleagues and leadership in the legal and IP function as well as the R&D organization.
• Build and manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators, including substantial interactions within a multicultural global patent function.
• Conduct due diligence assessments and counsel based on these assessments, including freedom-to-operate (FTO), infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation.
• Provide IP support for transactional projects, such as research collaborations and in-licensing opportunities, including advice on contract drafting and negotiation.
• Perform timely review of publication requests.
• Deliver work results on-time, on-target and within-budget.
• Continue professional development and contribute to development of IP colleagues.EDUCATION:
• J.D. degree with admission to at least one state bar & registered to practice before US Patent Office
• Bachelor degree in biology or equivalent plus 1-2 years exposure to the drug discovery and development processes utilized at pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology companies; MS/ PhD, or equivalent, in molecular biology or a biomedical science is preferred
• 3+ years' experience as a qualified patent attorney in a law firm or in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
• Strong scientific background in biological sciences; preferably including direct lab experience
• Expertise in local (US) and PCT law, filing process and prosecution practice; detailed understanding of counterpart EP law and other major global patent systems
• Strong customer-service experience & focus to build and sustain effective partnerships with key stakeholders and project teams
• Experience integrating global outlook and management of product lifecycle into decision-making process
• Effective analytical, presentation and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team
• Well-developed research and critical thinking skills, and sound decision-making abilities, with attention to detail to produce consistently accurate work
• Strong organization and time management skills with flexibility, creativity, resourcefulness to successfully prioritize and manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
• Strong interpersonal skills (partnership, influence/persuasion, teamwork)
- Bioinformatics Scientist / Computational Biologist / Data Scientist Novartis Pharmaceuticals Cambridge
- Computational Biologist / Bioinformatics Data Scientist Novartis Pharmaceuticals Cambridge
- AS&T Principle Analyst (ASPEX) Novartis Pharmaceuticals Fort Worth