Sr. Scientist, Protein Engineering job in Palo Alto
|Employer:|| Merck & Co.|
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare. |
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking an outstanding antibody and protein engineer for a Senior Scientist position in the Antibody Engineering group within the Protein Sciences Department at Merck Palo Alto. This role is a hands-on lab-based research scientist with technical expertise in the field of protein engineering and molecular biology. Scientist will be responsible for evaluating novel and cutting edge biologics (e.g.fusion proteins, antibody, various protein scaffolds). The candidate will function in a highly collaborative environment, interacting with protein sciences, structural biology, and biology groups. The candidate must have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively across functional units.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Design novel fusion proteins, antibodies, and antibody variants
• Develop strategies to guide the design of biotherapeutics with improved biological properties and developability characteristics
• Construction, mammalian expression, and purification of antibodies and other proteins
• Collaborating with Merck scientists in structural, modeling, and molecular dynamics to validate models
• Stay abreast of latest scientific and technology advancements in the field
• Present at group meetings and project team meetings
• Contribute to a safe and compliant laboratory work environment
Education Minimum Requirement:
• Bachelor's Degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioinformatics or related field with at least 7 years of industry experience
• Master's Degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioinformatics or related field with at least 4 years of industry experience
• Ph.D with 0+ years of experience
Required Experience and Skills:
• Strong skills in construct design, sequence analysis, molecular biology, and / or biochemical techniques (e.g. DNA and protein analytical techniques, such as PCR, cloning, SDS - PAGE, Western blot, ELISA, etc.).
• A strong understanding of homology modeling and sequence / structural analyses
• Ability to design, execute and communicate complex experiments in the field of computational biology, bioinformatics, and / or protein engineering
• Must have strong organizational skills to deal with large amounts of data
• Must be independent, self - motivated, and excellent written and oral presentation skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Structural biology and molecular dynamics experience
• Familiarity with programming or scripting language
• Experience with expression in multiple expression systems (mammalian, insect, bacteria), purification, and analytical characterization of proteins, fusion proteins, antibody, and antibody variants
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement