Associate Director, Vaccines New Products, Market Research and Analytics job in Upper Gwynedd
|Employer:|| Merck & Co.|
|Category:||Research and Development|
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare. |
Merck's Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a "patient first, profits later" ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The Associate Director of Vaccines New Products is responsible for developing the research strategy and agile data focused approaches that provide customer insight and market perspective in support of investigational vaccines for Ebola, Dengue, Cytomegalovirus (CMV) and Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) . This indvidual is a strategic partner to the Vaccines New Products Team and other internal clients, and is responsible for understanding the clients' business challenges and for managing market research to guide the development of assets and integrating those findings across audiences for US & Global markets. This individual is expected to interact with multiple internal and external groups and influence decision-making at a brand and franchise level.
• Demonstrates proven ability to influence decisions based on insight, an ability to deal well with ambiguity, cultural sensitivity, and collaborate across teams and functions.
• Will leverage a strong understanding of market research and marketing in synthesizing and applying research insights to influence marketing strategy and identify opportunities.
• As a key extended team member who will be involved in many marketing strategic choices, can comfortably interact with and add value to the Vaccine Franchise's extended team members including Marketing, Pricing and Access, Sales, and Clinical Research.
• Demonstrates consistently strong leadership skills, an ability work independently in a rapidly changing environment with a transformational mindset, cultural awareness, and resiliency to change that enables them to effectively produce results for individual areas of responsibility.
• In partnership with the Vaccines Brand Teams, solves unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on physicians and cosumers.
• Gathers and analyzes data and effectively responds to new, complex, or problematic situations; creates solutions that drive value for Merck, incorporating innovative approaches where relevant.
• Building from expertise, develops business rationale that impacts resource allocation, project or service support, agency selection, and evolution of the early stage customer input process.
Primary activities include but are not limited to the following:
Independently leads working team of internal stakeholders and market research supplier to deliver customer insights:
• Leads working team to scope and design market research studies and analyses with the appropriate burden of proof; leads all aspects of the market research process from design to fielding to presentation with manual guidance.
• Manages projects budgets and time lines. Works directly with research agencies to achieve results: understands vendor capabilities, quality requirements, and appropriate level of innovation; briefs agencies to deliver what is required: reviews analysis of research data and verifies research data accuracy; ensures delivery of effective presentations.
• Understands the franchise business from a broad perspective including consumer, physician and payer
• Bridges boundaries across teams, functions, divisions, geographies, external stakeholders, and customers. Works collaboratively with brand insights and analytics team members, other CoEs, top markets, compliance, and the payer/access team to ensure that decisions for developing assests are appropriately informed and aligned to business strategy and priorities.
• Organizes work efforts by prioritizing tasks, using resources optimally, establishing appropriate deadlines and ensuring on-time delivery
• Maintains and encourages full compliance with Merck policies and procedures
Communicates with and influences broad range of stakeholders to take action:
• Communicates with and aligns a wide range of internal stakeholders (e.g., Marketing, MRL, Market Access, and COEs) and external agencies to execute research and align around the findings and recommendations.
• Translates research findings into business implications and integrates a variety of sources/studies to present strategic options to the franchise teams: actively participates in follow-on sessions and facilitates decision-making.
• Engages stakeholders in discussion of full range of recommendations, and advocates for appropriate actions to be taken to positively impact the business.
Independently manages complex projects, applying best practices and innovative techniques:
• Maintains a mastery level of knowledge regarding ability to develop and execute market research consistent with Merck policies and standards.
• Viewed as an expert by non-direct reports and key stakeholders.
• Works collaboratively with the Center of Excellence in the appropriate selection and application of innovative best practices market research methods to drive business results.
• Personally manages complex, higher risk projects with limited supervision.
• Takes full ownership of understanding the business challenge/information needs, considers alternatives, proposes appropriate method/approach, applies best practices, and proactively considers and/or develops new techniques and innovations to meet objectives.
• Completes complex analyses using available databases; applies broad knowledge of secondary sources and statistics.
Develops and effectively manages the market research plan:
• Develops US market research plans, with minimal supervision, based on understanding wide range of business issues.
• Independently manages competing priorities and demands from within a product team/franchise/client team.
• Articulates the rationale, hypotheses, and methodology of research approaches to a franchise. Client teams, influences a wide range of stakeholders to follow the research plan and make timely decisions based on recommendations.
Manages plan budgets and modifies plans/budgets as changing business needs warrant.
Education Minimum Requirement:
• Required: BA/BS
• Preferred: MBA/MS
Required Experience and Skills:
• Minimum of 5 years of market research experience and a total of 10-14 years of relevant experience in related functions (including sales, marketing, marketing/sales support).
• In-depth knowledge of the US healthcare environment
• Highly developed analytical skills, strong problem-solving, and demonstrated ability to think strategically and objectively
• Is at mastery level in the full range of market research methodologies; able to coach/guide others in the application of market research methods and models.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Experience working in a multi-product franchise
• Experience in Vaccines (either in market research or related functions) is highly desirable
• Thorough understanding of marketing principles (Merck Marketing) and their application across different stages of the product life cycle and customer segments.
• Prior experience working in New Products or Business Development a plus.
• Fully performing in all Merck Leadership Standards at the Individual Contributor Level (particular emphasis on optimize operations, collaborate, communicate, achieve results, deliver customer value, courage)
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement