VP Global Medical Affairs job in Gaithersburg
|Employer:|| AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals|
Our Global Medical Affairs (GMA) function is committed to ensuring AZ delivers the best patient outcomes by providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and confidence# they need on our therapies and empowering our internal stakeholders with medical insight and strategy.|
GMA at AZ consists of 4 groups. Three vertically integrated TAs (CVRM, Respiratory & Oncology) and a central "centre of excellence" team - GMA.
Working closely with TA GMA colleagues in Respiratory, CVRM and Oncology, the VP GMA leads the AZ medical network to drive overall strategy, capabilities, and enabling platforms. The VP GMA plays a key role in ensuring effective ways of working, driving innovation and representing Medical Affairs at key bodies internally and externally.
GMA develops and manages core enabling medical platforms for the overall Medical Affairs Network of over 2500 people in 55 countries and executes major studies on behalf of the markets. The VP GMA chairs the broader medical network through the Medical Affairs Council (MAC) to align resources, standards, priorities and KPIs across the globe.
# confidence includes activities related to publications, congresses, external scientific engagement, guidelines & pathways
The Medical Affairs function at AZ has been substantially rebuilt over the last 5 years in anticipation of a future portfolio more focussed on specialty care products; in recognition of an increased need to elevate the voice of patients in all aspects of our business and also the increasing need to focus on access enabling evidence post-label. As a result of this transformation, Medical is well integrated in AZ science and business strategy and life cycle management, with a specific focus on improving the practice of medicine for the benefit of patients.
In order to further elevate the impact of Medical Affairs on the practice of medicine, and better support a very large number of product launches in our core therapeutic areas (TAs), we recently moved to a functionally integrated TA model in GMA. The desired outcome is a deepening of TA specific medical capabilities. As a result, the TA Respiratory, CVRM and Oncology teams now include both medical strategy (Medical Affairs Leaders) and capabilities (publications, medical information, MSL excellence, Evidence strategy and epidemiology) in a direct line and report directly to the EVP of GPPS, GMA and Corporate Affairs. To support this acceleration, we are now looking for a VP, Global Medical Affairs to lead both the transition to this new model, further develop the core GMA "center of excellence" functionality and continue to strengthen the Medical Network. The core GMA group includes the following accountabilities:
• Medical Evidence and Outcomes Research (MEOR). The MEOR team is accountable for delivery of all global evidence studies that are not label or indication seeking with a special emphasis on RWE, Patient Reported Outcomes, Phase 3b/4, PASS studies, Early Access Programs and Externally sponsored research (ISS/ESR). This team also provides services for Global Medicines Development, the Oncology BU and countries & regions. MEOR is also accountable for worldwide medical evidence review & approval oversight (EvidenceConnect) and the development of evidence capabilities with a particular emphasis on RWE where MEOR houses the core capabilities for the entire organisation
• Medical Resources -development, continuous improvement and oversight of shared medical platforms that meet the needs of our TA Medical teams and markets/regions, including medical information (GMIP), on-line scientific training (Medical Academy), Field Medical CRM (Veeva) Publcations (Envision); KPI's and analytics and offshore publications vendor management
• Medical Strategy & Planning - development and oversight of core medical affairs planning processes (eg.product intergrated medical affairs plans - iMAP). Facilitation of cross -TA functional excellence leadership teams (publications, MSLs, operations etc) and Medical Network management including talent development, best practice sharing, alignment on priorities and performance/investment targets which is achieved throughleadership of the Medical Affairs Council (top 12 Country Medical Directors and Regional Medical Directors)
• Governance -"nominated signatory" promotional material compliance oversight for all TA's; worldwide medical standards oversight (Medical Standards Dashboard), GXP support center for the markets, medical SOPs and assignment of role based training curricula
• Infection, Neuroscience and Auto-immunity Therapeutic Area - including medical leadership on Global Product Teams, developing effective GMTs (brand Global Medical teams with key countries) and innovative medical plans (iMAP). In addition provide medical support to established brands and externalization projects
• Above -TA Leadership - The VP GMA chairs the cross- GMA Executive Team or GMA-XT(TA and functional leaders) and represents the Medical Network on above-TA governance bodies including the Late Stage Portfolio Committee (LSPC), Executive Safety Board (ESB), Quality Council, Payer Board and external forums
• Senior Medical Adviser - Advise EVP for GPPS/GMA/CA on all medical matters
•8 direct reports including Heads of INA TA, MEOR, Medical Resources, Strategy & Planning and Medical Standards, GXP, Opera Enterprise, Administrative Coordinator
•Medical Affairs Council members (top 12 Country Medical Directors and Regional Medical Directors) and GMA TA VPs have functional dotted line reporting to the VP GMA
•Member of GPPS, GMA & Corporate Affairs Leadership Team
•Advanced Scientific background (MD strongly recommended) including deep understanding of different treatment modalities, clinical and diagnostics practice
•Experience in at least one of AZ core TAs, and ideallty all three core AZ TAs highly desirable
•Strong track record in both innovation and operational excellence with a particular expertise in evidence program design and delivery
•Experience with different business models (e.g. large/medium/small pharma, related diagnostics, devices, medical education) including leadership of commercial or access functions highly desirable
•Strong background as a medical or business leader of large market, area, or region, and experience in a global medical role. US market experience highly desirable
•Demonstrated effectiveness in a matrix environment
•Track record of building and managing corporate external reputation with constituencies, including stakeholders/government bodies Strategic, JV and BD&L Partners, Key Opinion Leaders, leading edge innovation centres institutes as well as shareholders.
•Managed significant risk and can systematically build a risk management mind-set within a large organization
•Experience in high impact corporate & portfolio strategy activities
•Proven track record of attracting and developing talent and optimising team performance in direct and matrixed leadership roles
Skills Capabilities and Values:
•Exceptional strategic thinking, judgement and influencing skills
•Strong leader - able to articulate a clear and compelling vision, drive innovation, inspire commitment and mobilise the organisation to execute the medical strategy. Able to enrol others, reduce complexity and manage ambiguity (support decision making in ambiguity)
•Able to express complex ideas and strategies in clear and compelling ways to multiple external and internal stakeholder groups
•Lead cross functional and global teams, managing change and building organization capability globally and locally.
•Delivers results across the function by driving strategic, financial and people performance